Chassis 39018 was completed at the Jaguar factory on the 14th December 1937 and was dispatched to its supplying dealer, Glovers of Ripon, on the 1st January 1938. It was finished in the attractive colour combination of black over a grey interior.
As confirmed by copies of the original logbook which are contained within the car’s dedicated history file, the car was registered new in the name of its first owner, Mr Henry Asquith Patrick of Harrogate, on the 1st February 1938. The registration number was CWR 899 which the car still retains today. It remained with Mr Patrick until around 1945 when it was sold to Mr Hugh Langley Scarf of Birmingham. Mr Scarf came from a respected family in the West Midlands. His father, Frederick, owned Bromford Iron Ltd in West Bromwich and was a talented golfer while his mother, Gwendolen, was a Birmingham magistrate.
It seems that Mr Scarf used the SS100 all year round as for each year of his ownership he renews the licence for a period of 12 months. The copies of the original logbook and licence renewals offer a fascinating insight into vehicle ownership at that time and particularly the ownership of an open two-seater sports car. In September 1950 Mr Scarf had to urgently request a duplicate licence from Birmingham City Council as the ‘licence holder fell off’ and ‘the licence was blown away’. These documents also confirm that the car was still black at that time. In around 1952 the licence was cancelled and it is believed that Mr Scarf moved to Chester where he died in 1960.
By December 1987 the car was for sale with COYS of Kensington and was purchased by Mr Christopher John Lambert of West Yorkshire. Mr Lambert is a highly respected businessman and collector who also purchased a Blower Bentley not long after acquiring the SS100. At the time of his purchase the car was in need of some work so Mr Lambert embarked on a full restoration, including repainting it in grey and retrimming the interior in red leather.
In the early 2000s Mr Lambert sold the car to Mr David Harrison who kept it until 2008. In April 2008 the car was purchased by its most recent owner, another Yorkshireman who like the first owner is also based in Harrogate. This gentleman is a noted car collector, philanthropist and a very good client of ours. During his ownership the SS100 was entered into the prestigious 1000 Millas in Argentina in 2011 plus used on a few other motoring events.
In early 2021 the decision was made to send the car to marque specialists Classic Motor Cars (CMC) for a refurbishment and thorough overhaul. It was repainted in its attractive original colour of black and the engine and gearbox were removed and disassembled. Any oil leaks from the engine were rectified, the gearbox was rebuilt and the suspension and braking system were completely gone through. The wheels were also freshly powder coated and the interior refreshed.
The SS Jaguar 100 is one of the most celebrated pre-war sports cars ever made. Only 116 of the 3 1⁄2 litre cars were built and they are by far the most desirable variant. Chassis 39018 is a fantastic example and the car today presents beautifully throughout. Resplendent in its original body colour and mechanically ‘on the button’ following the work by CMC, it is now ready to be used and enjoyed by its next custodian.
- Body Style Convertible
- Transmission Manual
- Engine Capacity 3486cc
- Fuel Petrol
- Chassis No. 39018
Interested in this vehicle?
Call us on +44 (0)1283 761119Enquire